Saturday, April 10, 2010

how to PICK CLASSES

by Zach on April 3, 2010

Setting up my class schedule always stressed me out-would I get the classes I wanted, at the times I wanted? Would I have time to get my homework done, and have a job? Here are just a few tips to consider when planning your schedule for the upcoming semester.

1. Sign Up for an Extra Class.
Every quarter, I signed up for one more class than I planned to take (I usually took 4 classes, so I signed up for 5). The first week, I went to all 5 classes, picked the one I liked the least (because it seemed too hard, the professor was weird, the topic was boring, or whatever) and dropped it. That way I had an easy out of one class: I didn’t get stuck with something I didn’t like and still had the credits I needed.


2. Take Some Fun/Easy Classes.
All through your pre-college school days your schedule revolved around the requirements-college is your turn to call the shots. Take at least a couple fun or easy classes in subjects you’ve always wanted to take (as long as you can keep up with your major). One of my favorite classes was a Pass/No Pass class in Gospel Choir-it was easy, relaxed, fun, and had a very enthusiastic professor. I looked forward to it every week.


3. Don’t Schedule Classes You’ll Sleep Through.
No matter how devoted you are to BioChem, you’re not going to get much out of it if you fall asleep in class-or worse, if you don’t even get out of bed. Be realistic when you’re scheduling your classes. If you’re going to skip anything before 9, set your classes up for 9:30 or later!


4. Block Out the Rest of Your Day.
When you’re setting up your class schedule, plan out how the rest of your life will work in around your classes. Give yourself time to go out with friends, have a part-time job, do homework and study.You can always move your activities around later, but figuring them out early will help you wrap your mind around everything that has to get done in a single day.

These four things helped me make a pretty good (sometimes great!) schedule every quarter. If you do nothing else, I definitely recommend that you take action on Tip #1 - sign up for an extra class. It gives you so much freedom to know you can drop one of your classes without falling below your credit requirements!

No comments:

Post a Comment